Pages

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Tuesday Top Ten

Just as I was getting ready for Autumn and enjoying the chillier weather, I get sick! Whomp, whomp. I am not one to usually get sick but I guess that what happens when you live off of chocolate bars and Smartfood Popcorn for 3 days... oops (no regrets!)
So maybe that is a little dramatic but I've been in bed more than I have been standing in the last day and a bit so I officially will take sympathy and soup from whomever will give it to me!

So this weeks Top Ten my Top Ten sick Necessities! It's the season for sniffles ya'll! 




Onesie / Pajamas

Okay, so I am the first to admit that I love onesies; I watch movies in Onesies, I sleep in Onesies, I’ve even gone to the grocery store in my Onesies. When I am sick, there is nothing more I want but to be warm, in my onesie and to do nothing. Comfy pajama’s are close to the top of my list because they can make you feel so much better by helping you relax.

and yes, this is the one I own! Best part: removable feeties!


Ice packs / Heat Packs

I used to get a washcloth wet and stick it into the freezer for a while, get it nice and cold, plus a little stiff and use that when I was heating up. However, I found the cutest ice pack for hot or cold (I had hot water in it yesterday) but I can be used for anything. Cooling down your forehead, warming your feet and hands or icing your ankle when you’re clumsy like me and trip down the stairs.

and how cute are these patterns?


Puffy Face Problems

I don’t know about you, but when I get the flu or a cold, I get a really puffy face and eyes. I often find if I don’t look good, when I look in the mirror it makes me feel even worse. So instead of looking like I was stuck by a bee in both cheeks, I do everything I can to help me feel better and get the swelling out of my face. The first thing I do is make a coffee mask. I use ground coffee mixed with honey to make a really thick consistency and put that all over my face. It’s simple because it’s only 2 ingredients and the mask helps reduce swelling and decreases the appearance of under eye circles (always needed in my life). The honey really helps hydrate your skin when is needed when you’re sick as well. Leave it on for about 20 minutes or so and then what I like to do after the mask to really knock out the puffy eyes, is take green tea teabags that have already been used and put them in the freezer for a while – placing the semi frozen teabags on your eyes will really help take away that puffiness  by shrinking and decreasing the dilation of the blood vessels under the eyes. Looking better will get you on track to feeling better too.

Moisturize!

Especially after doing face masks or having a runny nose, it’s really important for your skin to stay moisturize. Make sure to apply your favourite moisturizer on your face and body when you can and I always put Vaseline around my nose if I have had the sniffles and the skin is really dry there as well as on my elbows and knees as they really seem to dry out as well – especially when you are dehydrated from being sick!

Eucalyptus Oil / Vicks Vapo Rub

Vicks has been an all-time favourite in my family growing up and I can’t remember the amount of times I have used it. I use it on my chest, temples and a little bit around my nose when I am congested, have a head ache or have a runny nose. This stuff is magical however, I didn’t like having it on my chest when I would go to sleep because a) I like to wear a Onesie to bed if I’m sick and b) I didn’t like feeling sticky so the next best thing: put a little bit of Eucalyptus Oil on your pillow before you go to sleep and you will feel so much better in the morning!

NOW Essential Oils Eucalyptus Oil 
Water / Hydration

It’s so important to stay hydrated, I am not a person who likes stuff in my water like lemon or cucumber, so I just stay with water straight up. But one thing I found most important is to have a water bottle that can lie on its side while you drink from it. There is nothing worse than being sick, and have to sit up to drink from a glass of water. When I am sick, my favourite laying position is the fetal position with a pillow between my knees so it isn’t the easiest to sit up. I have found that having a water bottle like a Gatorade waterbottle or a sport water bottle that you can just suck on while laying down is the best and I actually drank more water because than I didn’t need to sit up (just a note: this also helps for the mornings after when you have gone out the night before, if you know what I mean).


Comfy Blankets

I love being cocooned in a blanket. To me, there is nothing worse when you are sick than being not able to have your feet and shoulders wrapped up at the same time. I have one large duvet that I usually only use when I’m sick. It’s a king sized blanket and one my queen sized bed, there is enough blanket to be fully wrapped up and basically a big baby. But it’s important that you have the blanket that you need – if you’re cold, get something that you can wrap yourself in; if you’re hot, get a blanket that is breathable and airy so you don’t get overheated. Long story short – when you’re sick, your blanket is your best accessory.

Tissues

Ever been so sick, that you went through an entire box of tissues and then the skin around your nose is so raw and red? Don’t get me wrong; I love a good deal as much as the next person, but the one thing I don’t cheap out on is tissues. I usually get the brand with the added moisture in them and the very soft ones that don’t feel like I’m rubbing sandpaper on my face – I need something smoothing, not an exfoliator. And like above, make sure you put some Vaseline or lotion around your nose so that skin isn’t too irritated.


Bath / Showers

I love baths even without being sick but showers and baths are a great way to decongest you. The steam from the hot water will help clear out your sinuses and if you want to step it up a bit, add some Epsom salts to relax and replenish you and add some eucalyptus oil to your bath as well so your steam will really make you feel better. I usually like having the lights a bit dimmed and add music and candles to really help you relax. Make sure you have some water to drink with you as well because it is a good time to hydrate as well.



Distractions

Distractions are a necessity for me as well. Things like reading a book, watching your favourite shows or movies (aka any John Hughes movie for me). When you keep thinking about being sick, you will feel sicker. As much as I want sympathy from everyone around me when I’m sick, when I start getting back into my regular routine or even just do a cross word, it really helps. If anything, they will tire you out and you can sleep even more!

I hope these ideas help you out if you get sick but more importantly, I hope you don’t get sick!!! Now pelase excuse me, Ferris Bueller’s Day off is starting J



stay clumsy

xx jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment